Triathlon Ontario Now Accepting Applications For its First Ever Long Course Development Team
October 17, 2016 – Triathlon Ontario, the recognized Provincial Governing Body of Multisport in Ontario, announced that the application for those athletes wishing to apply for the Long Course Developmental Team is now available until November 1st.
In January, Triathlon Ontario announced that it had created an initiative to provide both financial and promotional support to up to three long course professionals of each gender who meet a stated criteria.
Three of Canada’s top professional long course professionals and Ontario natives, Cody Beals, Taylor Reid and Lionel Sanders were instrumental in helping to develop the criteria, providing invaluable feedback and input during the process.
The objective of the initiative is to provide increased exposure and financial support to the Province’s developing long course athletes, helping to bridge the gap from new professional with little or no sponsorship, to well established professionals in a better position to succeed on and off the race course.
Athletes that are interested in being named to the Triathlon Ontario Long Course Development Team must meet the following criteria:
- Must have Triathlon Ontario designated Elite status in Long Course racing
- At least one podium (top three) overall finish in a Triathlon Ontario sanctioned long course race in the year of qualification
- Must be under 30 years of age as of December 31st of the funding year
- Must earn one of the following results – Within 8% of the overall winning time in athlete’s gender at one of the following events:
- P-500 or greater ranked IRONMAN 70.3 event, or
- P-2000 or greater ranked IRONMAN event or
- Challenge Family event
About Triathlon Ontario
Triathlon Ontario is a non-profit organization that is the recognized Provincial Governing Body for Multisport in the province of Ontario. Our mission is to provide leadership and governance for the development of a safe and fair environment for Multisport in Ontario. Triathlon Ontario oversees the sanctioning of races and clubs and undertakes a number of duties and responsibilities on behalf of athletes at every level, coaches, clubs, officials and race directors to ensure the growth and development of the sport in a fun and safe way. Visit TriathlonOntario.com for the latest triathlon news, events, camps, and clinics.