Long Course Development Team Criteria
The purpose of this initiative is to provide increased exposure and limited financial support to the Province’s developing long course athletes so that a new professional with little or no sponsorship or exposure is in a better position to succeed on and off the race course.
Composition of the Team
Up to three men and three women per annum that meet the stated criteria. Please note, a total of six athletes are not required for a Team to exist. In the case where there are more than three athletes of one gender meeting the criteria and less than three in the opposite gender meeting the criteria, Triathlon Ontario reserves the right to award more than three spots to one gender while still maintaining the maximum of six total spots.
Benefits to Team Members
Financial Support – For the 2017-2018 season Triathlon Ontario has increased its per athlete cash support by 20% from last season. Triathlon Ontario will provide each Team member a total cash training assistance bursary of $1,200.
Promotional Support – Triathlon Ontario will create a dedicated web page to the Development Team with a profile on each athlete with links to their personal webpages, blogs and social media handles. Triathlon Ontario’s Digital Media Specialist will dedicate resources to assist each athlete in the development of their social media strategy for the purposes of increasing their profiles and look for mutually beneficial ways to work together to develop each other’s brands and profiles . Where appropriate, Triathlon Ontario will make introductions between its official suppliers and the athletes to see if a mutually beneficial relationship can be formed between the supplier and the Team member.
Requirements of Team Members
• Maintain an active Triathlon Ontario membership
• Add the Triathlon Ontario logo to the Team member’s website and/or blog alongside other sponsors
• Add the Triathlon Ontario logo to the Team member’s race kit alongside other sponsors
• When mentioning/thanking other sponsors in social media or website/blog postings, the Team member is to add Triathlon Ontario
• Must race at least one Triathlon Ontario sanctioned long course race during the funding year
• Before being named officially a Team member, athletes will be required to sign and comply with an Athlete Agreement between the athlete and Triathlon Ontario.
Term of the Development Team
The Team will be reviewed annually. Exiting Team members and potential Team members will need to reapply each year. An athlete can only be on the Team for a maximum of three consecutive years. If a Team member wins an IRONMAN, IRONMAN 70.3 event, or qualifies for the IRONMAN World Championships (Kona) as an Elite/Pro, he/she will no longer be eligible to apply for the Team in the following year.
Criteria for Qualification Consideration
• Must have Triathlon Ontario designated Elite status in Long Course racing
• At least one podium (top three) overall finish in a Triathlon Ontario sanctioned long course race in the year of qualification
• Must be under 30 years of age as of December 31st, 2017
• Must earn one of the following results – Within 8% of the overall winning time in athlete’s gender at one of the following events:
– P-500 or greater ranked IRONMAN 70.3 event, or
– P-2000 or greater ranked IRONMAN event or
– Challenge Family event or
– ITU Long Distance World Championship
Please note, meeting the Qualification Criteria does not automatically guarantee a spot on the team. Applications must be received by Triathlon Ontario by 4pm Eastern time, December 1st, 2017. If the number of applications received meeting the above stated Criteria exceed the number of available spots, Triathlon Ontario’s Selection Committee will review the applications and make a final decision. The Selection Committee will consist of the Executive Director and three Board Members.
A prospective athlete must be a permanent resident of Ontario for one year prior to his/her selection for Team inclusion.