Draft Legal Provincial Championships
Triathlon Ontario’s signature event, the 2017 Draft Legal Provincial Championships will be held on August 12th at the International Flatwater Centre in Welland.
The fastest triathletes in the province will gather to compete in this event which will once again be the cornerstone of Triathlon Ontario’s Cup Series for the Elite/U23, Junior and Youths (aged 14-15), offering additional points. Provincial titles, names engraved on trophies and for the Elite/U23 division, $2,000 of prize money offered by Triathlon Ontario could all be on the line.
The venue is one of the most spectator-friendly venues in the country. From the comfort of one’s stadium seat, a spectator can watch 100% of the swim, about 40% of the bike and about 60% of the run with the finishing chute directly in front of the stands.
U15 (14-15 as of December 31, 2017) – 500m swim, 10 km bike, 4 km run
Junior (16-19 as of December 31, 2017) – 750m swim, 20 km bike, 5 km run
Elite/U23 (20+ as of December 31, 2017) – 750m swim 20 km bike, 5 km run
Please note for the above categories all must be Triathlon Ontario members and draft legal certified. Elites (24+) must have official Triathlon Ontario Elite status in short course draft legal racing.
Age Group (16+ as of December 31, 2017) – 750m swim, 20 km bike, 5 km run
*New for 2017* – Age Group Team Concept
A team will be made up of four people (of the same gender). Team members need not be part of a club to participate.
During the online registration process, members will need to list the team name – this will allow us to know who comprises your team.
The top three of four times (from each team) will be added together and this aggregated number will be the total team time (to determine winners).
(For clarity, all members of the team’s individual times count towards individual placings.)
Draft Legal Team Racing Facts
- Team draft legal racing is popular in Europe and Triathlon Ontario wants to bring it to Ontario as we are always looking for ways to enhance the athlete experience.
- Creates a race within a race (e.g., team members can work together, someone can play a “domestique” role, teams can strategize in order to play to each other’s strengths).
No draft certification is required for Age Groupers
Mandatory Race Meeting
There will be a mandatory race meeting on August 11th on site, time TBD. Race kits will be available at that time.
U15 Boys – 7:00AM
U15 Girls – 7:05AM
Age Group Men – 7:55AM
Age Group Women – 8:00AM
Elite/U23 & Jr Men – 8:20AM
Elite/U23 & Jr Women – 8:25AM
Age Group Wave
Triathlon Ontario has created a Draft Legal Provincial Championship sprint distance for Age Groupers. With Age Group sprint distance changing formats to draft legal at the ITU World Championships, National Championships and all National Qualifiers, Triathlon Ontario’s objective with this race is to initiate opportunities for interested Age Groupers to race draft legal and develop their skill sets.
There are certain rules for this race that differ from the typical non-drafting race. They are as follows:
- Must be a Triathlon Ontario member
- Capped entries – 50 men and 50 women
- One men’s wave and one women’s wave, open to Age Groupers aged 16 and over
- Swim cut off of 20 min. and a swim/bike cut off of 60 min from time of swim start
- No drafting certification required
- This is a four lap bike course, if lapped by anyone in the AG field, the lapped rider will be removed from the course
- No disc wheels, no aero bars of any kind
- Bike must have drop down handle bars